Monday, May 5, 2008

Late Night Talk Shows

I've thought about it for over a week, and I still think Jimmy Fallon replacing Conan O'Brien on Late Night in May 2009 is a TERRIBLE idea for many reasons. One, Fallon is not that funny. Have you seen Fever Pitch? Two, I cannot imagine him interacting well with a wide variety of guests. Conan could interview actors, comedians, musicians, athletes, kids, Martha Stewart, etc. and the conversations always flowed well. No other talk show host has the ability to make his interview style seem so unforced. Most of the interviews I've seen with Fallon (in which he is the guest) appear a bit awkward. I just don't understand what makes Fallon so appealing to NBC? He left Saturday Night Live to pursue a movie career, which has gone absolutely nowhere. While he was on SNL, he was maybe the fourth funniest person on the show and he made a career of laughing (and breaking character) while Will Ferrell killed it.

NBC could have made a worse choice (see Carson Daly, Kathy Griffin, Jeff Foxworthy, among others) and I suppose there are people that find Jimmy Fallon funny and/or charming, but the choice does nothing for me. While I am glad that NBC is finally forcing Jay Leno out on the Tonight Show and Conan does deserve the top spot, it will be sad to see Conan leave Late Night. Will he have to do the Tonight Show from LA rather than NYC? Can he still have such risqué characters as the Webcam Manatee, the Masturbating Bear, and Vomiting Kermit? NBC executives may turn a blind eye to some of the skits when the show airs at 1 AM, but they will regulate the Tonight Show.

I wonder if Conan is even excited about the promotion. It will undoubtedly mean more money, but does he even consider it a promotion? I felt like over the last five years, Conan landed as many big stars are Leno and Letterman, despite the late time slot. His guests had equal star power and he had more leeway with inappropriate skits. Will the infamous Preparation H Raymond come with Conan to the Tonight Show? I love Letterman, but the Late Show has gone downhill over the last 5 or 6 years and his ratings are in big trouble when Conan moves to 11:30.

Actors just aren't meant to be talk show hosts. Ellen is one of the better actor-hosts, but I could not see her doing a late night talk show. She is better suited for the afternoon. Jimmy Kimmel is good, but he is technically not an actor. Same for Craig Kilborn (not sure where he disappeared to). I hope Fallon is good because I don't watch the Craig Ferguson show (CBS), but I will be surprised if he is. I assume Conan will take his writers with him, which will hurt Fallon even more. Fallon will no longer be able to ride on the coattails of Tina Fey's writing and Will Ferrell's physical comedy.

1 comment:

Hunter said...

You need to try out Craig Ferguson. I have watched plenty of Conan, and Craig is a better interviewer. Or maybe its just that his interviews are more interesting than Conan. Either way, I totally agree that the Jimmy Fallon move is awful. Bad. I read that NBC had in under contract for all of 2007, just so he would be available to sign this deal. WTF? And isn't the most natural choice Jon Stewart? Not sure why him and Colbert haven't gone big boy and moved over to a bigger station than Comedy Central.

Chief