Friday, August 8, 2008

Olympic Fever

I only give a damn about track and field every four years. I publicly mock anyone who swims competitively -- except during a 2-week span every fourth summer. Fencing only piques my interest every...wait a minute, fencing sucks. I don't even watch that during the Olympics. Anyway, I get excited about most Olympic sports even if I choose not to follow a particular sport during the 3.96 years in between Olympics. The 2008 games in Beijing begin tonight and I have OLYMPIC FEVER.

Here's what I am most interested in:

1) Michael Phelps' quest for 8 gold medals in swimming: He will compete in 8 events in 9 days. He will swim over 30 miles during this year's Olympics. I expect to see a lot fewer Speedos this year too now that most swimmers wear the full body, skin tight LZR Racer now (yes, I looked up the name).

2) The Redeem Team: This year's men's basketball team is not the Dream Team of 1992, but it may be the second best team ever assembled. Anything less than gold will be a huge disappointment.

3) Tyson Gay: The US sprinter was injured a few weeks ago and missed the trials for the 200 m. He will still compete in the 100 m and faces tough competition from a duo of Jamaican sprinters. Will the injury affect him? I know I can't wait to find out.

4) The protesters: The Olympic Committee set up a designated area for protesting. As the late Mitch Hedberg said, "I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it."

5) Soccer: The US is in the same opening group as the Netherlands and Nigeria. If that doesn't get you excited, 19-year old phenom Freddy Adu will be suiting up for the US.


If you don't have Olympic Fever yet, watch this video and tune into NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, and any other channel under the NBC umbrella during the next 2 weeks.


1 comment:

ajr3x said...

Chiz,

Speaking of Freddie Adu...

If you know anything about soccer I think it'd be interesting to explore whether or not he's been a bust. My sense is he has. Maybe a good topic for BlogDF instead?

PS: I just watched the end of the gold medal women's fencing match btwn China and The Ukraine. Surprisingly good stuff, although I only saw the last 10 minutes, otherwise I might've been bored out of my mind. The whole match came down to one "hit" or whatever it's called. It was 44 to 44 and the first girl to "hit" the other one won a gold for herself and her team (I guess a match goes to 45). High drama.

On another note, I wonder why fencers (is that what they're called?) tend to be pretty dorky? It's not like there's NO athleticism involved. It looks like you have to be fairly quick and agile. Maybe it's only played at snooty prep schools where athletics is a requirement and this is the only non-physical sport these people can compete in? I dunno.

Tiger