Friday, June 26, 2009

NBA Draft Observations

  • I like Stephen Curry, but I thought #7 overall was too high to draft him. Also, I don't think Golden State is a good fit. I'm not sure why all the experts are saying that Curry fits in best with an up-tempo run-n-gun offense like Golden State or the Knicks. To me, Curry is at his best running off screens in the half-court set (like Rip Hamilton). If he plays point guard, I see him as a scoring point guard like Mario Chalmers -- but not a fast breaking PG. Rumors are swarming that Curry may be traded to Phoenix along with several other players in exchange for Amare Stoudemire. I think Phoenix would fit Curry's game better than Golden State. He could play shooting guard and spend some time at the point behind Steve Nash. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I predict that Wayne Ellington (28th pick to Minnesota) will be a better pro that Curry. Ellington was a steal that late in the 1st round and he can flat out shoot. Curry is a better all-around player, but Ellington's shooting and athleticism will make him a solid shooting guard for the next decade. Interestingly, Ellington was Minnesota's only pick (of 5) that isn't a point guard.
  • Tyreke Evans is a ball hog...but he might end up being the best player in this draft. He was a ballhog in high school, college, and even at the McDonald's All-American game. I don't like the way he plays. Nonetheless, his game translates well at the next level and he is in a good situation in Sacramento where he will be THE MAN from day one. He can run the point surrounded by Kevin Martin, Jason Thompson, and Spence Hawes. They won't be a playoff team for at least 2-3 years, but Evans instantly becomes their best player.
  • I think Terrence Williams is this year's Josh Howard (in that he is versatile, can defend, and can score when necessary -- not in that he smokes weed on a daily basis). I was really hoping T. Will would fall to my Bobcats at #12 (went to NJ at #11). Williams can defend 3 positions, play 2 positions, and will be a vocal leader in due time. His shooting has improved every year. Gerald Henderson was a nice consolation prize for Charlotte, but I worry about his consistency (or lack thereof).
  • 2nd round steals: DeJuan Blair - Spurs (#37), Chase Budinger - Rockets (#44), and Patty Mills - Blazers (#55).
  • Draft winners:
  • 1) Grizzlies - Hasheem Thabeet (UConn), DeMarre Carroll (Mizzou), and Sam Young (Pitt) - You know what you're getting with Thabeet. Carroll brings energy and defense. Young is an athletic scorer.
  • 2) Spurs - DeJuan Blair (Pitt), Jack McClinton (Miami), and Nando De Colo (France) - I can't believe Blair fell so far. He will fit in nicely with the Spurs. McClinton has unlimited range. I don't know much about the Frenchman, but I trust that the Spurs know what they're doing. I love the Richard Jefferson trade as well.
  • 3) Bucks - Brandon Jennings (Compton via Italy), Jodie Meeks (UK) - Jennings might be the best playmaker in this draft. Meeks probably should've gone back to school, but he can score in bunches and the Bucks need perimeter scoring now that Jefferson is gone.
  • Shout out to Omri Casspi from Israel -- the 22nd overall pick to the Kings. Hopefully he will be the first NBA player ever from Israel. Mazel tov, Omri!

No comments: