Monday, October 5, 2009

My Athletic Career Might Be Over

I recently turned 28 and it got my thinking...if I were a pro athlete, I would probably be in the decline of my career.  I would be in the peak of my NFL or NBA career.  I'd probably have a few major league seasons under my belt in MLB after spending my early 20s in the minors.  If I were a pro tennis player, I'd probably be washed up.  Golf is really the only sport in which I would be considered very young right now.  

It's still hard to fathom that college players are so much younger than me.  I still view them as the same age or older than me.  College freshman now are 9 years younger than me and that is not at all depressing.  In this June's NBA draft, there was a guy born after 1990 (Ricky Rubio) drafted for the first time ever.  I'm not old enough to be Ricky Rubio's dad, but I am old enough to be his much older brother.  If he were my brother, most people would think he was a mistake -- why else would our parents wait nine years between kids?

The fact that I should be in the peak on my NFL career right now makes what Brett Favre is doing even more amazing.  I know most people are tired of hearing about Favre, but the ol' gunslinger can still play.  He turns 40 this week and he is still a top 15 quarterback in this league.  He is no longer a Pro-Bowler, but he is a perfect QB for the Vikings.  They already have the best running back in the game and an elite defense.  Favre brings leadership, and as long as he doesn't try to do too much the Vikings are a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

But I digress...time to work on my golf game.  So you're telling me there's a chance? 

  

1 comment:

Hunter said...

The Lions have snapped a 18 game winless streak, and all you can talk about is the Vikings! Some fan.