Monday, November 3, 2008

Phillip Fulmer Got a Raw Deal

Tennessee announced today that head football coach Phillip Fulmer was asked to step down at the end of the year. The higher-ups are letting him coach the last three games -- real classy. The man has been a student-athlete, graduate assistant, assistant coach, or head coach at UT for 35 years, the last 17 as head coach. The program has fallen a little bit, but not enough for this. Keep in mind, they won 10 games last season and made it to the SEC Championship game.

Let me make one thing abundantly clear: I do not care for Tennessee football. I think their fans are a bit obnoxious and I don't even like Fulmer all that much. But for everything Fulmer has done for that program, he deserved to leave on his own terms.

While I think the Big 12 is by far the best conference this year, the SEC has the most dominant conference in the nation year in and year out for the past 17 years. Over those 17 years, Fulmer's record at Tennessee has been 150-51. I'm not a mathematician, but that a winning percentage of almost 75%. That's unheard of in the SEC. 2 losing records (assuming they lose at least one more game this year) in 17 years. 8 10+ win seasons. 5 SEC Championship games. 1 National Championship.

A coach with a record like that deserves the opportunity to leave on his own terms. The athletic director also announced that this year's Tennessee-Kentucky game will be "Phil Fulmer Day." Really? Seriously? On the same day that you essentially fire one of the most successful coaches of the last two decades, you decide to honor him on his last game as head coach? It seems like a back-handed compliment to me. At least wait until next year's home opener to honor Fulmer -- give him several months to accept the decision and reflect on his accomplishments.

Fulmer got a raw deal. Straight up. But since I don't like Tennessee, I've already bored myself writing this much. I wish the next coach good luck -- you better win 10 games next season.

No comments: