Sunday, May 24, 2009

Ramblings




  • Zubaz produces the most comfortable, stylish athletic pants in the world. The stripe pattern is timeless. Coach Caccetta kept them in business for as long as he could, but they went bankrupt in 1996. As of 2007, Zubaz is back and better than ever. Henleys are next in line to make a comeback.

  • Spike Lee’s latest joint is “Kobe: Doin’ Work,” a documentary that follows Kobe Bryant’s every move during a regular season game against the Spurs. I was disappointed with the film – it was just not compelling enough for me. There were a few locker room scenes, but it was essentially just Kobe commentating as we watch the highlights of the Lakers-Spurs game (a game in which Manu Ginobili did not play and the Lakers won by 21). While it was interesting to see Kobe interact with his teammates, one couldn’t help but notice that most of his teammates seemed surprised that Kobe was talking to them. It seemed a bit contrived. Don’t get me wrong, Kobe is clearly a smart player. I would argue he is a top 10 player of all-time, but let’s not pretend that he’s such a great teammate. Moreover, I wish Spike would have given us a better look at Kobe’s life off the court. I just didn’t get it. I did appreciate that Bruce Hornsby (shout out to Williamsburg, VA) composed the score for the film.

  • I bought my first pair of croakies ever today. It’s something I promised myself I would never do. I’ve sported just about every other possible piece of fratty flair, but croakies are something I have openly mocked for years. The purchase was precipitated by the fact that I have lost two pairs of sunglasses within the last six months, both of which fell off the back of my neck. My two solutions were 1) wear sunglasses inside or 2) buy croakies. It was a tough choice. At least my new croakies match my boat shoes.

  • In my last post, I listed my top 10 sporting events of the summer. I inadvertently left NHL playoffs off the list. Hockey playoffs are a hundred times more interesting than the hockey regular season, but I would still pencil them in a #9 and take the Belmont Stakes off my list. The British Open golf tournament would come in at #11. I like the NBA draft, but I do not consider that a sporting event. Speaking on the NBA, I think I need to move NBA playoffs from #3 to #1. The Cavs-Magic and Lakers-Nuggets series have been unbelievable so far. Although I want to see Kobe against LeBron in the Finals, I have found myself rooting for the Nuggets and the Magic.

  • I have said this before, but it’s time to say it again: No one gives a shit who Ted from “How I Met Your Mother” marries. I was hoping the writers would stay away from that storyline despite the show’s name. We are four seasons into the series, and the writers are still teasing us with Ted’s romantic liaisons. Bob Saget narrates the show as grown-up Ted – the more Saget talks, the worse the episode becomes. In this year’s season finale, Ted becomes a professor of architecture (he’s totally qualified), and Saget informs us that Ted’s future wife is in the class before the credits roll. Is that supposed to be a cliffhanger? Again I say, who cares? The show’s had a good run and it is still mildly entertaining, but I hope season 5 is the last.
  • How long before McDonald's gets sued for serving a McCafe that is too hot?

  • Just in case you think Dixon from “90210” has turned soft, let’s remember him from better days as Michael on “The Wire” – see the clip below.



2 comments:

Hunter said...

Is there any question that this year's NBA Playoffs have been much better than this year's NCAAs?

Chopchizzle said...

I think it's tough to compare the NBA Playoffs with March Madness. This year's Madness was not great, but I'll still take it over NBA Playoffs. I like the single elimination format, upsets, and filling out brackets.

This year's NBA Playoffs has had 5 great series -- Celtics-Bulls, Celtics-Magic, Lakers-Rockets, Lakers-Nuggets, and Cavs-Magic -- but the other 9 series have been either blowouts or just boring.

The NBA thrives on superstars -- LeBron, Kobe, Ray Allen, Derrick Rose, Dwight Howard, Billups, and Melo have been studs but KG, Yao, McGrady, Ginoboli, and AI watched from the sidelines. Nonetheless, this has been the most entertaining NBA Playoffs in several years.